Dogs On Ice

A weekly recap of a Niagara IceDogs home game as the boys make their final push to reach the 2014 playoffs

Monday, March 10, 2014

IceDogs Rein in the Colts















"Lets go IceDogs!" and "Come on boys!" These continuous chants and the unbelievably loud noise that accompanied them by the Niagara faithful demonstrated the importance of Sunday afternoon's battle with the Barrie Colts. The matchup had an intense feeling of desperation as the two points were critical for both teams and their playoff positioning. The IceDogs appeared ready for war in what was the most important game of their season to date.

The boys showed it by striking quickly just seconds into the game with a goal by forward Billy Jenkins. In the second period, Barrie tied it but neither the fans nor the players were fazed. Niagara immediately got back to business and absolutely rocked the Colts with a four goal counter attack to take a 5-1 lead! Thanks to a 46 save performance by goaltender Brent Moran and a solid effort by his teammates, Niagara sealed the deal and sent the fans home in a frenzy with a 5-2 victory.

The Niagara players showed the heart, determination and commitment they have to getting the club into the playoffs. When Barrie attempted to provoke a fight, the boys remained focused. When the IceDogs took a lead, they didn't sit back and relax, they kept taking the fight to their opponent. It was a hell of a performance and a well-deserved victory.

Kyle's Picks


Top Dog - Brent Moran for his 46 saves and the PK units for killing all nine penalties
 

Under Dog - Billy Jenkins for scoring the important first goal to set the tone of the game
 


Junkyard Dog - EACH Niagara IceDog player for playing a key role in the victory

This week I'll cover the game against the Mississauga Steelheads on Friday, March 14 at 7:30 p.m. This will not be a traditional home game however. I will be invading the Mississauga Steelheads' home arena, The Hershey Centre, with the rest of the Niagara faithful as part of the 7th Man Convoy. We will be packing several coach buses Friday evening and heading into enemy territory to cheer on the IceDogs and help them win a game that will clinch a 2014 playoff position. Niagara enters play in seventh place in the Eastern Conference.
 .
 
 







My prediction: A HUGE VICTORY for Niagara
 
Until next week,
Go Dogs Go! 





8 comments:

  1. Great post, Kyle! I don't know that much about hockey, but you really capture the energy of the game... go dogs go! Looking forward to finding out how the game against Mississauga goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I really only watch Olympic hockey so another four years for me but this is a fantastically designed blog, Kyle. I think it's great that you're including your picks as well, looks really professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kyle! I don't know much about hockey but you make it sound amazing. This might shock you but on Sunday I went to my very first IceDogs game, I thought about this blog. It was more enjoyable for me than I thought. Thanks for sharing Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say that I follow hockey, but I think you do a really good job of covering the IceDogs on this blog. I especially like your Top Dog, Under Dog, and Junkyard Dog categories each week. Clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I want them to do well, I think the Dogs need to settle for a high draft pick and rebuild for next season.

    Man, do I miss the days of Pietrangelo, Strome and Friesen...

    Great coverage!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to ice hockey and it's nothing like field hockey that I used to play! Your blog and this post does a great job explaining the interesting debates on rules and regulations in the sport. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FINALLY...a win you can boast about!!! Go Dogs Go

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't follow the Ice Dogs at all - but you do a great job capturing them and explain everything behind hockey! Great blog kyle. (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete