Dogs On Ice

A weekly recap of a Niagara IceDogs home game as the boys make their final push to reach the 2014 playoffs

Monday, February 24, 2014

IceDogs Overrun Battalion


















Niagara entered competition with the North Bay Battalion Saturday night.  This matchup featured relentless fast paced action and COUNTLESS turnovers by IceDog players. 

With the Battalion receiving several scoring chances, Niagara goaltender Brent Moran stood tall and bailed his teammates out.

The boys then settled down and earned a couple powerplays. They capitalized with goals from sniper Brendan Perlini, playing just his second game since returning from injury.
North Bay reached the scoreboard in the second period but the IceDogs responded with two goals to take a 4-1 lead.  Frustration mounted on the Battalion bench and rookie defenseman Riley Bruce engaged Niagara rookie forward Hayden McCool in a fistfight.  Unfortunately for McCool, his much larger opponent earned a convincing win.

Kudos to Hayden for accepting the challenge, landing some punches and enduring some even bigger punches himself!
Niagara should have lost this game early but stellar goaltending and timely scoring allowed them to regroup, refocus and earn a tough win against a solid Eastern Conference opponent.

Kyle’s Picks

Top Dog - Winger Brendan Perlini for two goals (Game Winner) and three points.

Under Dog – Goaltender Brent Moran for his spectacular 53 save performance.

Junkyard Dog – Winger Eric Ming for his goal, solid forechecking and tough play on the boards.



This week I’ll cover the game against the Mississauga Steelheads on Thursday, February 27 at 7:00 p.m.  Niagara enters play in a tie for eighth place in the Eastern Conference.








My Prediction: A VICTORY for Niagara 

Until next week,
Go Dogs Go!

8 comments:

  1. Go Dogs! I haven't been to a game yet, but I have been wanting to, I will try by the end of the season. Some great talent has come out of the team in the last few years which is great to see. Great recap Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at this game! It was my first time at an Ice Dogs game, and I had a great time. It's really good hockey to watch. Their goalie did play really well, and even better that they won. I will definitely be going to more games in the future, and I'm really looking forward to when they begin their next season in the new arena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at that game too Michael! damn we should have all coordinated!
    That fight was pretty awesome to see. You don't usually see that much in the OHL, or at least I haven't, but it was a sick game all around.
    I like your review of it sir keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, great blog! Very worthy of TSN coverage. Cannot emphasize enough the importance of goaltending! Seems to be a common theme among many OHL clubs. Glad to see the youngster achieve so much success in his young career. Hope to hear more about him in subsequent posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad I haven't been to a game yet this season, usually I try to attend a game or two a year. Good job on the win boys and I always love the intermission between periods where they sometimes have the little kids come out on the ice with Bones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyle, thank you for showcasing Niagara's Ice Dogs, I feel like I should really start supporting our teams and start going to games, because your posts make this sound really fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it super pathetic on my part that I have been living in st catharines for four years and I have yet to go to an Ice Dogs game! I love how much passion that you have for this team! It really shines through your writing.
    Great blog Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an avid hockey fan, a local, and for knowing players on the team I suppose you could say it is unforgivable that I have never been to an Ice Dogs game. Definitely something to add to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete